The day I first used a wide angle lens was the day my mind was blown over. For any average person who has been using the kit lens for some time, using a wide angle lens means seeing the world in a whole new perspective and it is amazing.
This is a short user review of the Canon 10 – 18mm STM lens which I have been using for over a year now.
Let’s look at some of the features of the lens.
- EF-S: This is a EF-S lens i.e. this lens can only work on the crop sensor cameras with the APS-C sensors. (Like the Canon Rebel series, 60D, 70D, 7D etc.)
- Build Quality: For a lens which is priced under 19K (INR) / 300$ the build quality is surprisingly good. The quality of plastic used is quite good thus rendering the look and feel of the lens to be at least sub-premium. The relatively flat front element does mean that people who like to use filters will be able to use filters.
- Perfect Focal Range: Many Canon users have bought the Dual Kit when buying their first camera. The deal normally comes with an entry level camera body, an 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-250mm standard zoom lens. Thus having a wide angle lens which covers a focal length of 10mm to 18mm gives anybody a wide range to photograph different subjects.
- Variable Aperture: Being a variable aperture lens when we zoom in from 10mm to 18mm the aperture changes thus letting in less light. This might be a little bit of a problem when shooting indoors. This can be overcome by using a sturdy support or a tripod. The added advantage of having image stabilization also helps its cause as one can shoot at slower shutter speeds.
- Focus Ring: The lens is equipped with full time manual focusing i.e. even when one is in auto focus, one can turn the focusing ring and fine tune the focus is needed. Another advantage is – while focusing the lens does not rotate thus not disturbing the frame composed.
- Image quality: I will not give all the technical details of how sharp the lens is at the center and the amount of vignetting that is present at different f-stops. What I will show are a collection of photographs and how I just love the overall image quality. One can easily judge the sharpness from these photographs.
- Pricing: This Canon STM lens is priced very reasonably at sub 20K/300$ and is the perfect choice for any newbie to try his/her hand at wide angle lenses.
Overall this lens is perfect for shooting those grand vistas and iconic interior shots. This can also be a very handy travel lens as it weighs quite less and can be easily carried around. All in all if anyone is looking to step out of their comfort zone and explore a little more in photography, this is the perfect wide angle lens to invest in.
Here are a few more photographs shot with the same lens.
Do let me know in the comments section if you have any wide angle lens which you love or if you are planning to buy one.